Edward Street, a nonprofit with a mission to promote early childhood success through improving the quality and impact of early education and care and the development of young children and strengthening families in Central Massachusetts is seeking a full time (40+ hrs/week), Development/Marketing Manager. The Development/Marketing Manager will be responsible for all fundraising and marketing initiatives and activities of the organization. They will be directly responsible for developing and implementing the organization’s fund development/marketing plan and its component activities. These include cultivating and maintaining relationships with new and existing donors and supporters, developing and building a Major Gifts Program, managing the grant proposal and reporting process, planning and executing special events, and developing and implementing the organization’s strategic communications and marketing efforts. The Manager will manage shared development and marketing activities across the Edward Street staff team or in collaboration with other contracted resources as determined by the Executive Director. As a member of the Edward Street staff team, the Development/Marketing Manager participates in strategic planning and budgeting initiatives in addition to problem solving. Occasional nights and weekends required.
The successful candidate will work in partnership with Edward Street’s Executive Director, administrative staff, board, volunteers, and program staff to achieve strategic and sustainable organizational growth, to significantly grow the portion of organizational revenue that accrues from individual giving and grant based programs, and to help Edward Street more effectively communicate our story to existing and prospective donors and the general public.
The Development/Marketing Manager will report to the Executive Director.
Key responsibilities include donor development & stewardship, special event coordination, grants management, and marketing & communications.
- Lead responsibility for the development, implementation, management, and evaluation of all activities related to individual giving, including but not limited to direct mail, face to face, phone, email, social media, and online solicitation and all related stewardship activities
- Develop and implement a strategy for effective donor stewardship. Ensure effective, regular, appropriate, and timely donor communications, including prompt and effective gift acknowledgements. Develop and implement a calendar of site visits, tours, volunteer opportunities, donor recognition events, etc.
- Responsible for the development and growth of a Major Gifts Program, currently in its earliest phase, including prospect research, developing the case for giving, and developing and stewarding relationships.
- Responsible for the development and growth of a Monthly Sustainer Program, currently in its earliest phase.
- Responsible for implementing direct mail solicitation including End of Calendar Year direct mail appeals and Development of a bi-annual Newsletter including all aspects of preproduction and design, production oversight, and gift acknowledgement.
- Support and collaborate with volunteers to develop tools, systems, and processes to help ensure effective and regular collection and utilization of program impact stories for improved annual giving and communications strategies.
- Responsible for ensuring donor database is maintained and updated and ensuring all records are complete and accurate. Ensure timely distribution of tax receipts.
- Compile, maintain, and report regularly to management, board, committees, and other relevant parties on important annual giving metrics, including donor retention, churn, campaign participation, etc.
- Collaborate with financial services provider to ensure all donation data is entered appropriately in the organization’s financial reports.
- Develop and manage annual revenue budgeting process in collaboration with Executive Director, Development Committee, and financial services provider.
- Remain current on best practices related to fundraising.
- Serve as lead staff for Edward Street’s Development and Marketing Committees. Manage and support the work of these committees to develop and implement the organization’s fund development and marketing plans, including: meeting scheduling, ensuring effective communication and information sharing between meetings, creating agendas and troubleshooting/strategizing with Committee Chairs; following-up with all committee members on assigned tasks; recruiting, vetting, and retaining committee members; and providing adequate support and training to help committees effectively execute their work.
- Support Special Projects (inc. Worcester’s Day of Play Family Festival, Art Show, Book Buddies) as needed in cooperation with the program projects directors.
- Participate in appropriate professional networks as determined with Executive Director (e.g., Planned Giving Council of Central MA, NSFRE, Women in Development of Central MA, etc.)
Foundations, Corporate, and Government Funding
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and other relevant staff, support the development and maintenance of the organization’s annual grant proposal and reporting process and steward relationships with existing and prospective grant funders.
Special Events Fundraising
- Plan and implement annual fundraising donor cultivation event(s). Create and manage budgets, coordinate volunteers, solicit in-kind donations and corporate sponsorships, manage event marketing and logistics, and communicate with donors and participants.
- Secure donations and corporate sponsorships from new and existing partners for annual events and programs, including Day of Play, Book Buddies, and cultural arts event.
- Coordinate and implement special events/program marketing and communications in collaboration with relevant committees and program staff.
Communications & Marketing
- Working closely with Executive Director and program staff, and volunteers, responsible for designing, maintaining, preparing and distributing content for communications including print and electronic newsletters, annual reports, program reports, websites, social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), donor appeals, press releases and blog content, etc.
- Work collaboratively with contracted marketing/development services and consultants and build in-house capacity for marketing and promotional activities.
Human Resource Management
- Direct, plan and coordinate the work of development and marketing with Edward Street staff team, agency Board of Directors and volunteers as well as other potential community resources such as college interns and AmeriCorps prospects including supervision, training, and team building.
- Ensure adequate and qualified staff and volunteers effectively carry out fundraising/marketing activities.
- Recruit, manage and train interns and volunteers.
Other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
Edward Street is seeking an experienced fundraiser/marketing professional who has managed/led team(s) of staff and volunteers.
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, highly organized, and reliable
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines
- Comfortable working independently and in teams
- Minimum 3-5 years fundraising experience required
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in non-profit management, community engagement, community planning, early education and care or related field
- Supervision/management experience preferred
- Comfort with online collaboration tools, e.g., shared calendars, email, Zoom, shared folders/files (Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Apps), and utilizing web-based database and project management software
- Excellent people and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Interest in and commitment to advocacy for resources and programs in early education and care and early childhood
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends
The mission of Edward Street is to improve the quality and impact of early education and care, enhancing the development of young children and strengthening families in Central Massachusetts.
Edward Street is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive workplace. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Edward Street is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Edward Street prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Salary range, $60,000-$70,000, DOE, and a benefits package commensurate with work in a nonprofit, including health & dental insurance, paid holidays, 3weeks vacation, personal days, sick days, and retirement plan.
Send resume & cover letter to (insert “Development Marketing Manager” in subject line). Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls please.